wagon Passenger carriage B3yg
After WWII and into the 1960s, just like the German State Railway (DR), the German Federal Railway (DB) had to cope not only with a substantial shortage of passenger coaches but also with the fact that most of the rolling stock was excessively old. In the 1950s, there were still no less than 22,345 two-, three- and four axle compartment and open carriages of early Prussian and Bavarian designs dating back even to prior to the First World War making up the larger part of the carriage fleet for local and semi-fast trains. The few Städtewagen from the early 1950s built for semi-fast trains were nowhere near enough to replace the passenger rolling stock which was no longer up to date by any stretch of the imagination and for which the maintenance costs would have been very much higher. At that time, shortage of steel and other raw materials in the still young federal republic made wholesale renewal quite impossible. Just like the DR in the 1960s, from 1953 the DB was forced to fall back on modernising the pre-war rolling stock – which was known simply as a rebuilding.
In summer 1953, the federal railway headquarters commissioned the railway's technical office in Minden, the BZA, to get together with carriage construction companies and produce proposals for rebuilding the pre-war carriages, only the wheels and chassis of which were to be re-used. The bodies of the carriages by contrast were to be replaced by new construction.
A first carriage was rebuilt from an old state railway carriage in 1953 at the repair shops in Ludwigshafen. Series rebuilding then began there in January 1954 and this work was shared between the shops in Hanover, Karlsruhe and Limburg on the Lahn. Of those compartment carriages with timber bodies, only the floor, underframes (which were trimmed to a standard length of 13 metres) and the running gear including the brakes were retained. A corrugated steel floor was then welded to the underframe and finally a brand-new steel carriage bodyshell was constructed.
Altogether, three different carriage types were constructed. Third class carriages (C3yg(e)) had seven windows each side and 62 seats, arranged in a 2+3 formation in two saloons with three and four seating bays respectively. One of these saloons was designated "smoking", the other as "non-smoking". The composite carriages (BC3yg(e)) had 24 third class (smoker) seats and 24 second class (2+2), of which 8 were non-smokers and 16 were smokers.
By the end of 1954, over 1,000 rebuilds had already been returned to traffic and by 1958, this number had grown to 6,500, representing 25 percent of the federal railway's entire passenger carriage fleet. To start with, their maximum permitted speed was 90 km/h, which on those days was the norm for local passenger trains; in the 1970s, a number of them were upgraded to a top speed of 100 km/h. (With acknowledgements to Wikipedia)
In the early 1980s, our carriages were converted for use in engineer's trains. For this, the interior fittings were completely removed and replaced as required by offices and workshop compartments, shower and kitchen installations. Two of the carriages converted are now used as stationary sleeping accommodation for club members from outside the area.